Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 8 October 2020

Insular Interlace?


The British Library’s Medieval manuscript blog
has an illustrated post about the use of interlace decoration in Anglo-Saxon book illustrations and of the appearance of the style in so-called Franco-Saxon manuscripts and and also further afield in Europe. As a motif it also occurs in Hiberno-Scottish, Anglo-Saxon and Anglo-Danish sculpture, notably standing cross shafts.  Not only does the post look at questions of transmission but also affords a glimpse of the artistry and individuality of medieval scribes. The post can be viewed at Early medieval interlace – a distinctive or ubiquitous feature?


No comments: