Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 2 June 2016

Dom Alcuin Reid in Oxford


Earlier this evening I went to a public talk given at the Catholic Chaplaincy by Dom Alcuin Reid on the subject of The Roman Rite: Where are we? Where are we going?

This being held in the Chaplaincy was in itself something of note - it is something that would not have happened a decade or so ago. The event was well attended, with, it must be said most of the usual suspects there, plus others whom I had not realised were so keenly interested in such matters.

In his talk Dom Alcuin gave an overview of what has happened in the last half century, illustrating it with a description of the differences in liturgical modus operandi then as well as now in Oxford, and then turning to a wider overview of trends, or indeed the lack thereof, across the Church. This was a talk to hear rather than note and so I cannot give readers an adequate summary of his impressive conspexus

It was, as I said to him, good to see Dom Alcuin back in Oxford - I was quite flattered that he remembered me from previous visits - and I hope we shall have the opportunity to hear him here  again in the future.


 

No comments: