Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 8 June 2023

More medieval humour


Following on from my recent posts about research into medieval entertainment, Fifteenth century stand up comedyMore on fifteenth century comedy and Medieval conjuring tricks I see that the theme has also been picked up by an Oxford academic, Prof. Marion Turner, in an enjoyable article in the Daily Telegraph. Her underlying argument is that humour and what we find, sometimes inexplicably, funny does not change over time. She also points to how texts were read or performed in the past, or indeed, today, affects how the humour is brought out.

One example she gives is from The Canterbury Tales with the wickedly entertaining Miller’s Tale. Wonderfully naughty it is not original to Chaucer who, I think, got it from Flanders, but re-located it to Oxford. When I used to do literary tours of Oxford this was one of my favourites to discuss and to make the point it really does relate to the reality of life in late fourteenth century Oxford. Chaucer makes the world of town and gown really come alive with very specific topographical references. He also provides a comical version of an evergreen plot - one which Hollywood used to great effect in the mid-twentieth century with dramas such as Double Indemnity and The Postman Always Rings Twice.

Having said that about Chaucer may I quickly add that the idea one sometimes comes across that Chaucer is basically just smutty is seriously wrong. He might write about themes that are distinctly earthy, but he is at the same time a satirical observer who was marvellous in his subtlety - as acute an observer of the variety of his contemporaries as Jane Austen was of hers or Charles Dickens of his.

In this day and age of sensitive souls perhaps I should issue a trigger warning that Prof. Turner’s article discusses matter that some might find problematic, but what the hell - if you are already reading this blog I doubt you will be offended ( and the title of her article in effect carries a warning ).



No comments: