Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 27 September 2022

More on the genetic evidence from the Anglo-Saxon migration


Having posted yesterday about the research into the genomes of burials from time of the Anglo-Saxon migration into Britain two further and quite lengthy articles summarising and interpreting the research have now presented themselves on my system.

The first is from Ancient Origins and can be read at Anglo-Saxon Migration Created a ‘European’ Medieval England

The second is from ClassiCult.it and can be accessed at Anglo-Saxon migration into England during the early Medieval Period


1 comment:

John R Ramsden said...

There's a fairly recent book about the genetics of historical inhabitants of the British Isles and further afield.

(I bought it in a charity shop a only couple of weeks ago, and haven't yet got round to reading it. So I can't comment further.)

"The British - A Genetic Journey"; Alistair Moffat; Birlinn Ltd (2013); ISBN 978 1 78027 075 3

John R Ramsden