Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 15 March 2022

Understanding and displaying Roman Colchester


I wrote recently about plans to uncover and display in situ a Roman mosaic in the town centre of Colchester. Funding has now been assigned to this project as well as additional money for a survey of the site of the Roman theatre and adjacent temple in what is now Gosbecks Archaeological Park at Shrub End in the town.

These very promising developments as well as a reconstruction of the appearance of the theatre - one of only five known from civic life in Britannia - can be studied at Groundbreaking survey to uncover park's hidden Roman secrets secures funding and at 'It's a complicated project' - update issued on Roman mosaic dug up in Colchester


No comments: