Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 7 February 2022

Archaeological discoveries from the Midlands


I came across two online reports about recent archaeological work in the English Midlands. It does in part, of course, depend how one defines the Midlands or indeed subdivides them into East and West, North or South/Southern. I tend to think instinctively of the Midlands as the western part around greater Birmingham, but if I do that what do I use as a term, which I certainly do use, for the East Midlands? Maybe Mercia is a better option, but that too, with centres such as Lichfield, Repton and Tamworth, not to mention Offa’s Dyke, has westerly connotations. Brixworth and Great Paxton get less of a look-in, and what about the Danelaw and the Five Boroughs? Ah well, back to the archaeological evidence….

The first report is from Birmingham Live - an offshoot of the Birmingham Mail - and covers a wide range of discoveries, mainly in the western part of the region. It can be seen at Iron Age village to HS2 skeletons and Saxon gold - Midlands' archaeology finds

The second is from the BBC News website and is about the excavation of a tiled floor in the medieval Carmelite - Whitefriars - monastery  in Gloucester, which is again an area that never seems Midland to me, more an anticipation of the West Country. The report can be seen at Medieval tiled floor uncovered in city project



No comments: