Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday, 15 September 2026

Investigating Archbishop Hubert Walter’s vestments


Research into medieval silk items from English sources has includes an examination of the remaining material from the dalmatic which formed a part of the vestments in which the body of Archbishop Hubert Walter was apparelled for his burial at Canterbury Cathedral in 1205. The items were discovered when his tomb was opened in 1890.

The investigation is reported upon in a recent account on the medievalists.net website. It can be accessed at Gold Found in Medieval Archbishop’s Silk Garment at Canterbury Cathedral

In 2019 the fabric used in the dalmatic was copied to make the fabric for twelve new copes for use in the cathedral.

There is more about the other vestments from the grave from the Textile Research Centre at Leiden at Vestments of Hubert Walter (1205)


The mitre and episcopal slippers found in the tomb of Archbishop Hubert Walter. The silk uppers of the slippers are decorated with garnets and have amber silk soles.

Image: text-leiden.nl
 

One of the Archbishop’s buskins

Image: Church Times



The mitre from the tomb

Image:praytellblog.com

In addition his crosier and chalice and paten were also in the tomb, and an be seen on display in the cathedral.


The paten from the Archbishop’s tomb

Image: Wikipedia 

Wikipedia has a biography which appears to be cognisant of the latest scholarly opinion of this highly accomplished and influential administrator at Hubert Walter

I was surprised when reading it to discover that Hubert Walter, whom I had always envisioned as an elder statesman, was apparently only about forty five when he died.
 

The tomb of Archbishop Hubert Walter in Canterbury Cathedral

Image:x.com

No comments:

Post a Comment