Saturday, 15 August 2026

The Assumption of Our Lady



The Dormition and Assumption of the Blessed Virgin Mary

Bl. Fra. Angelico  

Dated to 1424-34 and originally an altarpiece in the Basilica of San Marco in Florence, now in the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum in Boston

Image:anastpaul.com

To mark this weekend’s great feast, and to remind readers of the traditional observances around the celebration of Our Lady’s entry into Heaven, the website OnePeterFive has a linked set of articles about the customs of past generations and centuries, and indeed encourages, their revival, which can be accessed at The Forgotten Customs of Assumption Day


A joyful and splendid celebration of the Assumption of Our Lady to all my readers

2 comments:

  1. Dear Sir,

    I am writing to you because I discovered your blog today through this page: The French Chapel in Marylebone (9/VIII/2020). My family descends from French families who lived in London during the Revolution; they had followed several French bishops from the South of France, where we originate. I am myself a university professor and a legal historian. I found great interest in reading your work as we share common liturgical interests.
    I hope we will be able to exchange thoughts, as you might be able to help me find traces of my family or better understand the map of London today. My ancestors were buried in St Pancras cemetery (now London's railway station).
    Here is my contact information: bernard.callebat@gmail.com
    Bernard CALLEBAT
    Professeur des Universités ICT
    Directeur du Master HDR2EE ICES
    Directeur des Etudes Doctorales et Postdoctorales ICT
    Faculté de Droit civil & Faculté de Droit canonique
    8, Place du Parlement 31000 TOULOUSE (FRANCE)
    06 43 58 21 86 - bernard.callebat@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. May Our Lady smile on you John for reminding us of the customs of her Assumption!

    ReplyDelete