Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 24 March 2020

More on Medieval Hygiene 

Following my recent post on medieval hygiene, such being the nature of things, I promptly came upon a similar post with a similar revisionist stance to correct modern misapprehensions, and similar intrusive and irritating advertisements. It can be viewed at the following link:

https://m.ranker.com/list/what-was-hygiene-like-medieval-castle/melissa-sartore?utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=weirdhistory-2019-07-16&utm_campaign=website&utm_source=sendgrid&utm_medium=email

Unfortunately due to the present situation I do not have access to more sophisticated computer technologies that will allow me to post live links such as is needed here, or photographs. When - whenever that may be - the situation improves I will edit the post accordingly. Until then copy, paste and hopefully appreciate the link!

No comments: