Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 3 January 2020

A Duchess called Gladys...

Today’s Mail Online has an article based on the new version or edition of Hugo Vickers’ biography of Gladys ( pronounced Glaydus by her husband ) the second wife and Duchess of the ninth Duke of Marlborough. 

The American-born Duchess was responsible for the parterre and water garden on the west side of Blenheim Palace, which is decorated with sphinxes bearing her famous profile, and for the painting of her famously blue eyes and those of the Duke on the coffering of the portico on the north, entrance side of the Palace.

I skim-read the earlier version of the biography when it first came out and this new account looks a tempting read for the future. I wonder if the shop at Blenheim will stock it.

The online article “Socialite Gladys Deacon plotted for 15 years to wed married Duke” can be viewed at https://mol.im/a/7850041

No comments: