Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 12 July 2017

Fr Richard Duffield's Silver Jubilee


Yesterday was the Silver Jubilee of the Ordination to the Priesthood of Fr Richard Duffield Cong.Orat., who now presides over the York Oratory-in-formation.

I have copied this post from the Oratory website

IMG_2260

11th July, the feast of St Benedict, was the Silver Jubilee of Fr Richard Duffield's priesthood. Fr Richard was ordained in our church twenty-five years ago by Bishop Terence Brain.
Fr Richard celebrated the six o'clock Mass on the day of his anniversary.


IMG_2263

IMG_2267

IMG_2268

After Mass, there was a celebration in the Parish Centre, when many of our parishioners congratulated Fr Richard:

IMG_2302

Fr Richard made a speech:

IMG_2288

IMG_2291

IMG_2294

Images and text: Oxford Oratory

Fr Richard is a York man, and some years ago I realised that he was once the toddler I recalled in his father's wonderful bookshop in the city when as ateenager I went in on book-buying trips with my mother on our regular visits to York. Small world.


 

1 comment:

Johan Segers Antwerpen Deurne Belgium said...

Heart speaks to heart. Newman to be canonised. Stil have the "a Newman prayerbook (2010 beatification)" Hope to meet you in Rome.