Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 20 July 2017

Anniversary of the Accession of the King of Romania







Today is the ninetieth anniversary of the first accession to the throne of H.M. The King of Romania in 1927. 


This was on the occasion of the death of his grandfather King Ferdinand I, of whom there is a biography at  Ferdinand I of Romania. His eldest son Carol, and father of the present King, had renounced his right of succession the previous year and went into exile with his mistress. In 1930 he returned to the country, displaced the triune Regency that ruled in the name of his son and was enthroned as King Carol II. King Michael became Crown Prince until 1940 when his father abdicated and again went into exile, dying in 1953. Since 1940, most of that time, alas, in exile, the present King has been a symbol of his realm and a sign of hope to many.







See the source image




The boy King Michael I with his grandmother Queen Marie and his mother Princess Elena in mourning for King Ferdinand I


Image: Hoover.org









See the source image






The King of Romania during his first reign with his grandmother Queen Marie
and his mother Princess Elena.
His monogram can be seen behind the Royal group





Image:Pinterest






No comments: