Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 19 May 2017

The Court of Chivalry in the 1630s


The Special Correspondent sent me this link to a post from the Institute of Historical Research into the records of the Court of Chivalry in the period 1634-40 and the insight they give into aristocratic and gentle mores in the reign of King Charles I.

The original post can be accessed here







No comments: