Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 27 April 2017

The Patronage of St Philip Neri in Oxford


Today has been the feast of the patronage of St Philip at the Oxford Oratory, being the anniversary of the establishment of the Oxford Oratory by decree of the Holy See in 1993. Each Oratory observes the feast of its patronage of St Philip on the equivalent day.


Image result for St Philip Neri

St Philip Neri

Saint Philip was reported to be have been seen levitating in spiritual ecstasy
whilst celebrating Mass
Image:Denver Catholic


No comments: