Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 19 December 2016

A message from St Januarius?


A friend sent the following message earlier this afternoon:

" If you are eagerly awaiting the end of 2016, think on: the blood of San Gennaro didn't liquify. This has, historically, heralded wars, volcanic eruptions, plagues, and earthquakes."

There is a background article on the saint by his other name at Saint Januarius.

The Catholic Herald has an article about last Friday's events at Blood of St Januarius fails to liquefy and the Daily Express Miracle of St Januarius' blood liquifying fails to happen, whilst Novusordowatch has  Not This Time: Italians Alarmed as St. Januarius' Blood Fails to Liquefy ...


So if San Gennaro in Naples is trying to tell us something perhaps you ought to pay attention - and you thought 2016 was bad...




No comments: