Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 1 September 2016

Another new book on Queen Mary I


I came across another new book on the reign of Queen Mary I today. It is by Gregory Slysz and entitled Mary Tudor England's first Queen Regnant: Truth is the Daughter of Time and was published by Gracewing in 2015 ( ISBN: 978 0852448564 ) and costs £12.99.



Image: Amazon 
Part of the book's appeal is the interesting introductory section on the historiography of the reign as conveyed by near contemporaries and later generations. Indeed the influence of that historical perception of the reign is a theme which runs throught it. That widens the appeal of the book as more than an ainterpretation of the reign but also looking at issues of national identity and self-perception.

It looks to be a useful addition to the ever-expanding area of Marian studies.








No comments: