Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 23 April 2016

Celebrating St George


Today has been the feast of St George and as he is our national patron here in England a feastday I am always keen to observe.

One way I do so as an individual is by wearing on the day a lapel badge which is a reproduction of a medieval pilgrimage badge from St George's Windsor showing St George and the Dragon. I got this at the British Museum exhibition on Saints and relics the other year.

Yesterday evening I was able to attend at SS Gregory and Augustine an anticipated celebration of the feast with an EF Mass followed by veneration of a relic of St George.

This morning I was at the Oxford Oratory for their 10am Mass  and then this evening I was, in effect by chance, at  Blackfriars and attended their celebration of Mass. This was in a somewhat more traditional liturgical style than I have seen there hitherto - as a friend and I observed to each other more like the Oratory than we had seen there on other high days and holy days, and provided a dignified end to the celebrations. 

 

Image: Breviary.net 

St George, pray for us 

 

No comments: