Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 18 March 2016

Emperor Nicholas II's Royal Victorian Chain


The Special Correspondent sent me the following link about the loan by The Queen to the Kremlin museums of the rediscovered Royal Victorian Chain which King Edward VII had bestowed upon Emperor Nicholas II. The story can be viewed at http://royalcentral.co.uk/uk/thequeen/queen-elizabeths-gift-to-the-moscow-kremlin-museums-57930

The survival of the decoration outside the state collections in post-1917 Russia raises intruiging questions as to who rescued it and how it reappeared.

  

No comments: