Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 29 January 2016

The Ford Lectures 2016


This evening I attended the first of the Ford Lectures for 2016.

They are being given by Professor Christine Carpenter and entitled "The Problem of the Fourteenth Century: Politics, State and Society in England 1307-1399 "



Image: University of Oxford 

From what we heard in her introductory lecture this evening these promise to be very interesting indeed, with a breadth and clarity of interpretation worthy of a scholar of Professor Carpenter's distinction.

No comments: