Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 26 January 2016

Relics of St Thomas from Hungary to visit Canterbury


My attention has been drawn to reports of the visit of relics of St Thomas of Canterbury to his cathedral this coming May. They are coming from Esztergom Cathedral in Hungary as part of an
extended Pilgrimage in honour of St Thomas.

There is a good account of the plans for the events, of the Esztergom relic in particular and of the rise of devotion to St Thomas in Hungary in the Communist era there, in an article in The Daily Telegraph which can be viewed at http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/religion/12113298/Bones-of-Thomas-Becket-to-return-to-Canterbury-via-Hungary.html

The relic of Thomas Becket that Hungary will loan to Canterbury Cathedral
 
The Esztergom Reliquary of St Thomas

Image: Daily Telegraph


No comments: