Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 8 January 2016

Oxford Benedictine Oblates - forthcoming meetings


The Sodality of St Benedict of Norcia and St Scholastica will hold its next meetings on the following Wednesdays at the church of SS Gregory and Augustine, 322 Woodstock Road, Oxford: January 13th, February 3rd and March 2nd.



St Benedict and St Scholastica

Image:forallsaints.wordpress.com


The meetings, which last for an hour, begin at 7pm, following on from the 6pm Mass in the church. We are very grateful to Fr John Saward for his welcome and support.

Our aspiration is to be linked to the developing foundation at Norcia, St Benedict's birthplace.


Newcomers will receive a warm Benedictine welcome.

No comments: