Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 13 January 2016

Bronze Age dwellings in Cambridgeshire


Archaeologists working in Cambridgeshire have uncovered what they believe to be the "best-preserved Bronze Age dwellings ever found in Britain". The excavation at Must Farm quarry is described and illustrated in this report from the BBC News website: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-cambridgeshire-35280290 

It is noteworthy that the finds suggest a higher level of sophistication in the life of the settlement than has hitherto been assumed. That seems so often to be the case with archaeological discoveries. We still are prone to understimate our ancestors and predecessors.


No comments: