Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 20 July 2015

Pictures of the Holywell Pilgrimage


In my recent post Another Pilgrimage to Holywell I described participating in this year's LMS pilgrimage to Holywell and this week's Catholic Herald has a report about the day, complete with a photograph, in which the trained eye can see my face in the background. I cannot find this image on the internet - possibly mercifully - but here is a fine set of pictures with an account of the pilgrimage from Fr Simon Henry's blog Offerimus Tibi Domine - Fr Simon was the Sub Deacon of the Mass - and which I have copied in extenso  from his site:



I was at the LMS annual Pilgrimage to St Winifride's Well in North Wales yesterday, acting as subdeacon, along with Fr Edmund Montgomery from Shrewsbury Cathedral (deacon) and Fr Richard Bailey (celebrant) from the Oratorian Community at St Chad's in Manchester. The Well is a wonderful shrine, not least because of how ancient it is.  The Brigittine Sisters at the now very smart Guest House supplied us with a much needed High Tea afterwards. Lovely music that lifted the heart. A splendid sermon from Fr Bailey on the virgines fatuae and the virgines prudentes, encouraging us to be among the prudent rather than the fatuous, of course.

My thanks for the many photographs courtesy (and copyright) of Mike Barnsdall, showing the Mass and the Procession to the Well, along with the Veneration of the Relic.













Images: Mike Barndall/Offerimus Tibi Domine

No comments: