Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Sunday 3 May 2015

SS Philip and James


Today would be in the novus ordo the feast of SS Philip and James, were it not a Sunday, and traditionally May 1st was their feast day until the creation by Pope Pius XII in the 1955 Missal of  the feast of St Joseph the Worker on that day. They are still observed in the Anglican and Lurtheran traditions on May 1st.


Aretino, Holy Apostles James and Philip
  The Holy Apostles Saint James and Saint Philip with episodes of their lives and martyrdoms

Spinello Aretino,circa 1399. 
Fresco, Chiesa di San Domenico, Arezzo.

Image:christchurchwindsor.ca 

There are biographies and accounts of the apocryphal writings about them in the online articles at Philip the Apostle and James the Less. The  latter article argues that James is not to be confused or conflated with James, "the Lord’s brother" or "the Just".

I have older posts about St Philip at Tomb of St Philip the Apostle and about the relic of his skull at St Philip the Apostle.



No comments: