Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 24 February 2015

New research on the Gough Map




I recently saw on the Bodleian website a piece about the latest research into the Gough Map - about which I have posted before in 2011 with The Gough Map on display - and which is a remarkable example of mid-fourteenth century cartography showing Great Britain and neighbouring coasts, with cities and towns together with the principal routes and rivers in England, and useful information that "Hic habeundant Lupes", together with a drawing of a wolf, in the Scottish Highlands. There is an online introduction to the map, its date and sources at Gough Map.


image, button to large image

The Gough Map - a modern reproduction of the original

Image:geog.port.ac.uk


No comments: