Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 28 February 2015

Good news from Canada


I see from the BBC website that the Supreme Court of Canada has upheld the traditional Oath of Allegiance to the Queen for those taking up Canadian citizenship. This is clearly good news, and looks to be a case of finding a few - in this case three - of the usual sort of malcontents to create a case so as to change the established law. This time, happily, it has not worked. 


The Arms of H.M.The Queen in Right of Canada

Image: Wikipedia

There is information about the coat of arms at Arms of Canada

No comments: