Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 30 January 2015

Secondary relics of King Charles I



Today is the anniversary of the regicide of the Royal Martyr, King Charles I, in 1649.
 
 
 Image: The Mad Monarchist
 
My previous posts about this anniversary can be seen at The Royal Martyr , at Post Mortem Patris Pro Filio , at "Remember" and at  Commemorating the Royal Martyr
 
It seems therefore an appropriate day on which to share the news published last month by the Bodleian Library who have recently acquired the travelling library owned by the King when he was Prince of Wales. It is a fascinating insight into his intellectual formation as heir to the throne. The announcement of this acquisition can be read at the illustrated post  Bodleian receives Charles I's travelling library
  
 

No comments: