Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 23 October 2014

King Luis I of Portugal


The Mad Monarchist blog often has postings which are biographies of monarchs,including some who are less well known. A recent one which can be read at King Luis I of Portugal, and it brings out the difficulties facing the monarchy by the later nineteenth century. King Luis emerges as awell intentioned ruler, but perhaps lacking the flair of his elder brother. 

The article draws upon illustrative materail in the Portuguese edition of Wikipedia, and is a better account of the King and his reign than the English Wikipedia article.
 

LodewijkPortugal.jpg

King Luis I

King of Portugal and the Algarves 1861-1889

Image:Wikipedia

I posted about his elder brother and predecessor in King Pedro V, the Beloved


No comments: