Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 30 July 2014

Drawing attention to the plight of Iraqi Christians


Further to my post about the need to express support for the Christians of Iraq - indeed for all Christians in the Middle East - there is a piece on the Oxford Oratory website about the situation which can be read at Pray for the Christians of Iraq

Rorate Caeli has a report about a statement made by a number of public figures in France about the situation. This can be read at "An Appeal for the Christians of the Middle East"French elected officials lead the way: will those elsewhere follow suit, or remain silent?

One does rather wait to hear or read on anything being said by Western governments or opinion makers about this situation.

No comments: