Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 20 June 2014

Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem


I see from a recent post on the New Liturgical Movement that the Canons Regular of the New Jerusalem will have a special Mass today at their hose in West Virginia to celebrate the twelfth anniversary of their foundation, with Gregorian chant and the Palestrina Mass for six voices Viri Galilaei. Further information is in the poster reproduced below.


 Image: New Liturgical Movement

I met the Canons Regular at the two Merton conferences here in Oxford on the traditional liturgy organised by CIEL and the LMS, and I was impressed by their vision, and found them to be also a very friendly and positive community. This is then an opportunity for me to send my congratulations to them and assure them of my continuing prayers.


No comments: