Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 3 May 2014

The Queen of Spain in Oxford


It was only today when I looked at the front of the Oxford Times that I discovered that the Queen of Spain had been in Oxford last Tuesday. Had I known I would definitely have tried to see Her Majesty, for whom I have immense respect for her dedication as Queen Consort and her many years of service to the Spanish nation.

The Oxford Times: Queen Sofia of Spain arrives at the Taylorian Institute during her visit to Oxford

The Queen of Spain arrives at the Taylorian Institution

Image:Oxford Times


The Queen was visiting Oxford as part of the 700th anniversary celebrations of Exeter College, of which she has been an Honorary Fellow since 1989, and was also here to see the teaching of Spanish in the University, and attended a seminar at the Taylorian Institution. Exeter is the college which provides the Fellowship for the King Alfonso XIII Chair in Spanish History, and has a long-standing interest in Iberian studies.

The Oxford Times report on the visit can be read at  Spain’s Queen Sofia joins in 700th anniversary celebrations.


 



No comments: