Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 21 May 2014

Ordinariate Evensong in Oxford next week


On Wednesday May 28th the Oxford Ordinariate Group  - or Mission as it is now styled - will celebrate their termly Solemn Evensong and Benediction at Blackfriars at 7.30. The service will be a votive of Our Lady to mark the Marian month of May. 

The preacher will be Fr Daniel Lloyd, and the music provided by the Newman Consort.

There will be refreshments afterwards in the Priory.

If you have not attended one of these syntheses of the Anglican office in the context of the Catholic Church and appreciate fine music you will be assured of a warm welcome.



Image: Ordinariate website

No comments: