Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 29 April 2014

St John XXIII - the piety and prayer of a Pope



A New Series: Pope John XXIII in His Own Words

John XXIII in His Own Words (2): The Mass and the Priesthood

John XXIII in His Own Words (3): Devotion to Saint Pius X and Blessed Pius IX



Recovering a proper theological and historical assessment of John XXIII is important not just because he is now a canonised saint of the Church, but for our understanding of what has happened in the last half century or so and in order to engage in an informed and sensible way in the debates about the life and liturgy of the Church that are going on today, and will continue into the future.

Like

No comments: