Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 8 March 2014

Ordinariate Evensong this Wednesday


The Oxford Ordinariate Mission will hold their termly service of Solemn Evensong and Benediction at Blackfriars on St Giles this coming Wednesday, March 12th at 7.30pm. The preacher will be Msgr. Andrew Burnham, and the music provided by the Newman Consort.

Evensong, page 1 

Merbecke's The Book of Common Prayer Noted - 1550

Image;justus.anglican.org


This is an opportunity to experience the Ordinariate Office in the prayerful setting of the church at Blackfriars, and to see how the Ordinariate has blended the BCP with the Roman Office. A way of introducing Anglican friends who might be thinking about the possibilities the Ordinariate offers to see what it does, and perhaps to think more deeply about joining.


No comments: