Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Saturday 14 September 2013

The clothing of a Dominican


Today a young man I have got to know whilst he was studying in Oxford, Sean Baylon, will be clothed as a Dominican and begin his novitiate at Blackfriars in Cambridge, which is now their house for initial formation. I wish him well and commend him, and all of the Order of Preachers, to my readers' prayers.

The Dominicans appear very successful in recruiting highly intelligent and sensible young men to the order. After the initial year in Cambridge they come to study at Blackfriars in Oxford, so one becomes acquainted with them over the ensuing years. They are a great resource for the wider Church as well as men who will doubtless continue to sustain the Dominican inheritance and tradition.

The website of the Order gives some idea of their vitality and can be accessed at Godzdogz.




No comments: