Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 23 September 2013

Renewing my Baptismal promises


Today is the anniversary of my baptism, and following on from a post by Fr Finigan the other year, I do seek each year to renew my baptismal promises  on this day. This I did when I went to church for Mass this evening.

I saw online the other week that the Pope was telling his hearers to check when they had been baptised, presumably with the same intention of thereby enabling them to do something similar.

As the vast majority of us have no memory of this important event it does seem a good idea to recall it, and to reflect on just how significant it is to us - our rebirth in Christ, setting us on the path towards Heaven. It is also a chance to reflect how often we have wandered off that path, as well as to give thanks for our parents, godparents and those who taught us and brought us to faith.






No comments: