Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 30 July 2013

The Oratroll


The news appears to be full of stories about Twitter - something which I most definitely do not do - and all the debate surrounding it made me think of a friend in the congregation at the Oxford Oratory who has recently started Twittering. I don't understand the appeal of it myself, but appears to. it occurred to me that maybe we should call him the Oratroll. He tells me that his evergrowing list of followers are essentially two thirds supporters of the US Tea party and addicts of Fox News and one third are Lefebvreist French monarchists...which seems like an interesting mix.

2 comments:

The Rad Trad said...

I'll have you know Fox News is damn good entertainment.

Daniel Nicholls said...

You'll have to let me know if this nickname catches on.