Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 29 July 2013

Reassessing Caligula


The BBC website has an interesting article linked to a programme due to be broadcast tonight about the life and reputation of Caligula. It is presented by Mary Beard, and the article is also by her. This raises a number of good historical questions as to the truth of the reputation the Emperor has acquired, and suggests that he was a less monstrous figure in reality than the impression conveyed by political opponants and critics after his death, and reinforced over the centuries as stories never lose anything in the telling thereof.

The articke, which has links to other pieces about Caligula, can be read here.



No comments: