Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 4 June 2013

Coronation commemoration service


I was not able to watch on television the service commemorating the sixtieth anniversary of the Coronation which was held at Westminster Abbey this morning, so I was dependent upon online reports and photographs of the event. Such a service is without precedent, so its format had to be worked out by the Abbey Chapter to be a reflection on the themes in the rite of Coronation

The most striking image I saw was this one, of St Edward's Crown resting once again on the altar of the Abbey, as it was in 1953:



St Edward's Crown rests on the High Altar of Westminster Abbey

Image: Reuters

This, it seemed to me, was a forceful image of the enduring concept of Christian kingship, be it for this country or any other realm, as well as of the endurance of the English monarchy.

 

No comments: