Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 16 May 2013

St Simon Stock and Aylesford


Today is the feast of St Simon Stock, the English Carmelite who is traditionally believed to have received the brown scapular from Our Lady, and who died in 1265. There is more about him and the scapular here.  The scapular is also discussed on a blog post  here

Fr Finigan has a post today about the restored Carmelite priory at Aylesford in Kent which can be read at The importance of St Simon Stock.


File:Pietro Novelli Our Lady of Carmel and Saints.JPG


Our Lady of Mount Carmel and Carmelite Saints
Simon Stock is standing,receiving the brown scapular, on the right, with Angelus of Jerusalem kneeling in the forground,  and on the left are Mary Magdalene de'Pazzi and Teresa of Avila
A painting by Pietro Novelli, 1641
Museo Diocesano, Palermo

Image: Wikipedia


No comments: