Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 17 May 2013

Novena to St Philip Neri



Saint Philip Neri

St Philip Neri

Image: findagrave.com

This evening at the Oxford Oratory we shall start the annual Novena to St Philip Neri in preparation for his feast day - transferred this year to Monday May 27th. The Novena will be observed each day after the evening Mass at 6.30 on weekdays, and at 6 at the weekends. 

On the vigil, Sunday May 26th, there will be Solemn Vespers sung at the Oratory at 5.15pm  and on the feast day itself there will be a Sung High Mass at 6pm, when the preacher will be the Abbot of Farnborough, Dom Cuthbert Brogan OSB.

Please join in praying for the life and work of all the Oratories and Oratorians.


No comments: