Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 21 February 2013

Tsar Michael I of Russia


It was on February 21 1613 that the 16 year old Michael Romanov was unanimously elected by the Zemsky Sobor as the Tsar of Russia. This choice of the young Tsar is seen both as marking the end of the Time of Troubles following the end of the House of Rurik in 1598 and as the beginning of the rule of the Romanov dynasty. It was not until March 24 that a delegation reached Michael and his mother, who were initially reluctant to accept the dignity, and not until July 22 that he was crowned.


File:Tsar Mikhail I -cropped.JPG

Tsar Michael I at the time of his coronation

Image: Wikipedia

There is an introduction to the life of Tsar Michael I here.

In 1913 there were Tercentenary Celebrations of the advent of the Romanovs which tragically proved to be the swansong of the old order in Russia. There is a short account of the celebrations on that February 21st here.


http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvvkfiTK6V1r3sn0vo1_500.jpg

Emperor Nicholas II and Empress Alexandra and two of their daughters 
at the Tercentenary Celebrations. The Tsarevich Alexis, carried by a cossack, 
can be seen between his parents.

Image: zolotoivek.tumblr.com
 
 

No comments: