Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 27 February 2013

The Heavens declare the Glory of God



http://www.buzzhunt.co.uk/wp-content/2013/02/lightning-strikes-st.-peter-basilika.jpg

Image:buzzhunt.co.uk

The spectacular lightening strike on St Peter's on February 11th, a few hours after the Pope announced his intention of abdicating drew predictable comments in the press and suggests that people still look for signs and wonders, for portents and supernatural indicators. The modern scientific mind is likely to dimiss such things as coincidence at best, although lightening in February is rarer than at other times of the year. Yesterday evening I was, however, told by a priest of one explanation - one which saw the lightening as neither approval or disapproval, but a Divine message none the less - simply that God is still very much in business. I merely pass on the idea for reflection.
 
 

1 comment:

Asshole said...

I opt for the wrath explanation, and the way things are panning out... the next strike could very well take out the dome, if not the whole basilica.