Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Friday 15 February 2013

Abuse - lies, damned lies and statistics


A friend has drawn my attention to a blog post by Brendan O'Neill on the Daily Telegraph website about some of the the facts, as opposed to the fiction, about the incidence of clerical abuse of minors and others over whom they exercised authority. It can be read here and is a useful corrective to many of the false statistics that are bandied around in a routine manner.


No comments: