Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 31 January 2013

New treasures at the Ashmolean



A friend drew my attention this evening to the acquisition by the Ashmolean Museum of the collection of almost five hundred pieces of Renaissance silverware made by Michael Wellby who died last year. This spectacular bequest is described in this report, complete with photographs and a video link, from the BBC website.  The pieces will clearly become a "must see" when they go on display in the near future. Here are photographs of three of the most spectacular items in the gift:


Lapis lazuli bowl and cup

Lapis lazuli bowl and cup





Portuguese ewer

Portuguese royal ewer 1510-15

Images: BBC website



 


No comments: