Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 27 September 2012

The Newman Consort in concert


Next week there will be two concerts given in Oxford by the Newman Consort, who provide music for the Oxford Ordinariate Group and for the FSSP Masses at St William of York in Reading.

The first concert is on Thursday October 4th at 7.30 pm in Holy Rood church in Abingdon Road, Oxford, following the regular Ordinariate Mass there at 6.30 pm, and there will be refreshments afterwards.

The second concert is the following Saturday, October 6th at 2 pm in Exeter College Chapel.

The Newman Consort will be joined by Martin Kondziella, organist and Regens chori at the Institute of St Philip Neri's church of St Aphra in Berlin.

There is no admission charge for the concerts, but there will be a retiring collection on each occasion.


No comments: