Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Wednesday 25 July 2012

St James at Santiago


To continue the theme of St James here a picture of the votive statue of St James above the High Altar in the cathedral at Santiago de Compostela. I understand from reading Edwin Mullins' book on the Pilgrimage  that is the custom for pilgrims who have walked the Camino to embrace the statue and to briefly place their hats on the saint's head.

The statue of St James

Image:blog,travelpod.com





The interior of the cathedral

Image:Flickr.com
... and here is the great thurible of Santiago in action

Vigo 29, Santiago de Compostela, Spain and Canary Islands


Image:blog,travelpod.com

There are pictures of the visit of the King and Queen of Spain to Santiago for the Jubilee Year in 2010 in the post Jubilee of St James the Greater from the New Liturgical Movement.

1 comment:

nancyo said...

Thanks for this post about Saint James at Santiago de Compostela. The statue of Saint James has a stair and little passage behind it. Pilgrims climb the stair and embrace the statue from behind, and it's pretty funny to see arms appear and disappear around the neck of the Saint during the celebration of the Mass. I posted several photos of our visit to the Cathedral of Santiago de Compostela on my blog this week.