Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Tuesday 22 May 2012

New church buildings in the US


A friend has sent me a link to an online article from the magazine America about recent Catholic church building projects in the United States and the revival of older and more traditional styles and plans. It is similar to posts on the same theme on the New Liturgical Movement site. The article can be seen here and, as my friend points out, the slideshow of buildings is worth looking at. Here is one featured example:

 

The church of St. John Neumann in Farragut, Tennessee, built in 2008

Image:America

No comments: