Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Monday 12 March 2012

Back to the future


Fr Blake has a very interesting and hopeful post today about the latest liturgical trends and straws in the wind which is very heartening to read. It begins with news about the US Ordinariate calendar and its adoption of traditional nomenclature for seasons and the inclusion of Ember and Rogation days, as well as the Octave of Pentecost.

From that starting point Fr Ray proceeds to examine the way things appear to be moving within the Church as a whole as well as in a sector such as the Ordinariates. I think that if the provision for the Ordinariates serves as a catalyst or agent for such renewal then that in itself justifies the provision for former Anglicans and the patrimony they have retained.

Fr Blake's post can be read at Rome Restores... A New Missal.


No comments: