Once I was a clever boy learning the arts of Oxford... is a quotation from the verses written by Bishop Richard Fleming (c.1385-1431) for his tomb in Lincoln Cathedral. Fleming, the founder of Lincoln College in Oxford, is the subject of my research for a D. Phil., and, like me, a son of the West Riding. I have remarked in the past that I have a deeply meaningful on-going relationship with a dead fifteenth century bishop... it was Fleming who, in effect, enabled me to come to Oxford and to learn its arts, and for that I am immensely grateful.


Thursday 2 February 2012

St Anselm on Candlemas


Writing of today's feast St Anselm (c.1033-1109) says

"The wax of the candles signifies the virginal flesh of the Divine Infant, the wick figures His soul and the flame His divinity"


http://christchurchwindsor.ca/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/anselm.jpg

St Anselm
Archbishop of Canterbury and Doctor of the Church

Image: christchurchwindsor.ca

I interpret his comment as indicating when we bear our candles in procession we are like Our Lady carrying the Light of the world in fleshly form into the Temple as we enter our own churches. Here is not only the Lord coming to his own Temple but we express our hermeneutic of continuity with the prophets and the Temple cult as we enter the true enlightenment that is purpose of the Incarnation.


So we conclude the extended Christmas season.

A joyful Candlemas to you all.


No comments: